<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Thursday, March 18 

Marriage, equality, and pigs in mud.

Growing up, my Barbies were always getting married. Ken would marry Barbie. Skipper would marry Ken. Ken would marry Midge. Kevin would marry Skipper. It was one of those crazy inbreeding things, which caused all the Barbies to look alike. Incestuous almost.

The Barbies were soon replaced by Seventeen magazines. When I finally grew out of reading my Seventeen mags, Cosmopolitan was (and still is) the magazine of choice. This magazine filled my young mind with ideas for the prom, the first, second, and even third date with that young man of my choice, and of course, the first time we do the deed. After that, the multiple partners from there were discussed between the covers, until we hit the W word.

Every spring there would usually be a wedding pull out. The hot dresses of the season, the flowers, the shoes- oh and of course the big fat diamonds for the saved finger, were all advertised in this 200 page "How To Grow Up Fast" manual.

It filled my mind with thoughts and fantasies of those hopeful days to come.

In 2004, we are plagued with so many stats, we are hearing statistics of statistics. Lately though, there are a lot more divorce stats and marriage stats floating around. They peaked my interest and I was deeply intrigued to figure out why this is such a hot topic.

Apparently a high percentage of women said that they would definitely swap their equality and their job for a day for being kept by a man, preferably a rich sports star. More in four in ten of 25 to 34 year olds said they would leave even highly successful and powerful positions to live the life of luxury with a guy who would pay all the bills. That figure rises even higher, to one in three among the 18 to 24 year olds.

I couldn't imagine not working, but just hanging out at home waiting for my other half to walk through the door with a paycheck. That doesn't interest me. Where I would I feel a sense of completeness and equality? I wouldn't. I would feel bored and needy.

Of course I imagine the day where my dad gets to walk me down the aisle with all my friends and family, (and random other guests who family members invite) and up to my future husband. I don't know a girl who doesn't think about that. But what I don't understand is why to suddenly give up your job or ambitions to become a housewife. I would be in trouble- I am a horrible cook!

When I get hitched to the lucky bugger who snags me, I want to remain working and ambitious. I want to be able to still bring home a paycheck and be happy with myself. I don't want to have to ask my man to borrow his credit card so I can buy a new pair of shoes. I want to be able to be a strong career woman. Heck- maybe I will run for Prime Minister. Ha- or not.

There is this crazy disillusion by women about the intense focus and dedication needed to succeed which, when combined with daily home and family demands, leaves them drained and exhausted. Some women have this crazy biological clock ticking and need to drop what they are doing, get hitched, have sex, and make babies. Ha- not me.

I will work until I cannot work anymore. I am happier than a pig in mud going to work each day, ( I guess it helps that I love my job).

Marriage shouldn't be a "drop everything you're doing and stay at home waiting for your other half to come home", you should be able to be equal and have ambitions and dreams and hopes. Have a life.

Forget the rich guy- I like the equality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment