<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, March 16 

Who taught you to spoke?

Message to you whoever you are.

When you write me an email or write me a letter, spell everything right. Punctuation is a must as well. If you know how to properly use a comma, then do so - if you don't, just continue on with your run-on sentence and I will contemplate taking you seriously.

In the technical writing class I am taking right now, the handbook which we are using is full of mistakes. How do I take an instructor, and even an institute, seriously if they can't spell or properly put together a sentence? I can't. So I wrote them a letter.

Now I am not saying I am a perfect grammar goddess, but I do have my days. Yes, and those days are good. I can spell, I can edit, I can proof, heck- I can even write a sentence and use the comma in the right place.

Maybe I am a grammar snob. If I receive an email from a person at my place of employment, and the 5 paragraph notice is one large run-on sentence, I might just fix it and send it back to them. Then I would ask them to send it BACK to me so I can take it seriously.

Don't use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. THIS MIGHT MAKE YOU SOUND LIKE YOU ARE YELLING. IF IN FACT YOU ARE YELLING AT ME, CALL ME AND DO IT INSTEAD OF EMAILING IT TO ME. If it is in proper lower case, thank you- I consider that to be more polite.

It is amazing how in school I could care less if my name was even spelt right, but now- if I see a word spelt wrong, I can almost completely disregard the email or letter and move on. If you want me to take you seriously, I will take you seriously. Only if your grammar and punctuation is correct.

Grammar snob, I like that. Does that fit on a license plate?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment