<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Wednesday, May 12 

Lifestyles of the young and fortunate.

My mom works in an elementary school with a variety of various backgrounds coming at her on a constant basis.

Over dinner she tells whoever is sitting around the table her about her day and about the students she assisted with. Some come from background of abuse; which she sees on their faces, some come from poverty -- which she witnesses at lunch, some come from refugee camps; whose stories are hosted in their eyes.

With each story my mom tells us, the more and more I want to meet these kids and just hug them. She tells us about these kids who were in refugee camps who witnessed more horrific events than anyone of us could imagine. I for one, could not even entertain the thought of watching my food being dropped from the sky in a wood crate. I could not imagine having to wake up in the middle of the night to run somewhere to hide from the 'bad guys'. I couldn't imagine not having the things I have today.

I take too much for granted. I always have food, a hot shower in the morning, clean clothes, friends and family. I don't live in a hostile environment, I can go to the store to buy food or clothes, I have a debit card which I exercise on a regular basis.

This world makes me sick. Not a day goes by where I don't wonder about how things got to be this bad. Constant violence whether it be in a different country or at my neighbour's house. Greed, selfishness, loathing, and backstabbing. It is in the papers, on the news, and in our conversations at the water coolers.

Where I work I see and hear of no poverty or people struggling. I see people who are WAY too wealthy for their own goods, and who complain about ONLY getting a $10,000 commission on a house they sold. I go from being in this type of enviroment for 9 hours a day to coming home and hearing my moms stories.

If I was in my mom's position of being surrounded with these kids whose faces light up at the thought of a hug, who get excited when they get a quarter to buy something at the school fair, and who don't complain about having nothing- I would be too overwhelmed for my own good. It would be a nice change of scenery from the other people who I deal with.

I am humbled by the thought of these kids smiles. These kids who have experienced so much more than we have- but can still live their lives with laughter and excitement of the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment