<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Friday, July 2 

"I like long walks in the dark, eating crab legs dipped in maple syrup, and listening to Johnny Mathis. Call me."

Steve has said goodbye to dating sites. I am not going to say goodbye, but I am not going to say hello either. Let me explain.

Back a couple years ago, I was randomly surfing WinMx when I came across a good friend (and singer), Brandon Knell. A couple people had the song so I randomly asked two of them where they knew Brandon from. Turned out they knew him from Malibu Club Resort, and Young Life. An instant friendship was formed and for about the past 6 years, I have remained good friends with both Nate and Jeremy. Jeremy I met a couple years later on Summer Staff at Young Life with me. Nate and I still haven't met but continue to talk a lot on good ol' msn.

For kicks a couple years ago, I posted a profile on Matchmaker, a Canadian online dating service. Some of the craziest people came out of the woodwork on that one, but one of the nicest guys actually did. And man did I ever rack in from that friendship! Thomas was one of the head marketing guys for Rubbermaid. Friends and I tooled around in the Rubbermaid-Mobile, got free Rubbermaid goodness, and I think mom even got a Rubbermaid cooler out of it. Which, I might add, to this day I try to convince is mine. One day it will be.

I know many people who have gone on dating sites and who have actually met their lifelong partner. Some had better luck than others- but those who have actually had successful times, have had the times of their lives.

Take Jeff for example. Jeff met Robin on the site. He also met a lady who lived down in the Ozarks in the States. That was interesting hearing about that one.

Steve is saying no to online-dating services. I am saying why the heck not? I mean, whatever is your cup of tea man.

A couple sketchy things about these sites though.

You never know who is real:
Is it true. But then again, how do you know who is real in person? I guess if you can carry on an intellectual conversation in writing, that should mean something, right? In writing means you aren't looking for someone completely based on their looks where as in person that is usually the first thing some are attracted to.

Alot is said from someone who writes about themselves:
If someone has a profile that says "I am unemployed, living in my parents basement, and have four illegitimate children. Wanna meet for a drink?" Oh baby that's hot. That certainly makes me want to pay for some credits to talk to you. Um... next!?!

I am a grammar snob like I have said before. If a profile is spelled correctly- yippee! If not, bub-eye. If you are trying to promote yourself, why cheap out and take short-cuts? Why not spend time doing it?

They very well could be an axe-murderer:
Then where would that get you? That wouldn't be a very nice relationship now would it? There are definite creeps but definite nice guys. Trust me, I know.

Anyways, I think I got a little off track and I kind of forgot where I am going with this...

To each their own I guess. Some people enjoy the bar scene, some enjoy the workplace, some still date their high school honeys. But for others who enjoy taking a chance on some random people, online dating services are kinda fun.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment