<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Wednesday, July 28 

Most writers need a wound to become great. Either spiritual or physical. I have both. I am going to go places. But when?

A family friend once told my mom that my name, Megan Elisabeth Pratt, sounded like a name of a writer. If only that friend could see me now. Making it big... writing a blog.

Ok so it isn't editorial writing for the New York Times or even Calgary Herald, but, I am proud to say that I have an Ikea tin box full of writing which has been published in one place or another. Heck, I made it in two of Calgarys newspapers last week. Mind you, that was only on the Letters to the Editor page, but one of those letters was the Letter of the Day.

I won awards through the Calgary Herald High School Newspaper Awards, had a letter to the editor published in Macleans magazine, the Calgary Herald, and Calgary Sun. Written front page pieces for the Calgary Real Estate News and Lord Beaverbrook Beacon. I have my fair share of published pieces.

I have read other peoples blogs, random books from weird authors, and editorials from around the world, and what I have noticed is it takes a super SUPER good writer to actually captivate the audience.

I get bored really quickly. Maybe it's obvious as I change topics, colours, lanes, or even straws in my drink. When I read something, I want it to be good. I want it to put me on the edge of my seat and leave me wanting more. I don't want to put it down hoping some bird will come crap on it.

For the past couple years I have been toying with the idea of writing a book. I have the laptop, all the paper pads and pens I could ever need. But what I need now, is the idea. Sure I have a couple but after a page or four- I get bored with my own creation. Now, that should only happen when I cook- not write.

I have the trauma, the obvious heartbreak, passion, lies, and personal stories. I have experiences that took me to Europe, up a gondola, and down on a bike. But these stories, to me, are only interesting to me. Who would want to read about that?

Answer me that.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment