<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Saturday, August 28 

Time definitely flies when you're having fun.

There are moments in your life that you never imagine will come to pass, when viewed from a younger perspective - your first kiss, driving a car, paying taxes, marriage, having children - events that seem either too intangible or unlikely. And then suddenly, without really realizing it, you're in the middle of one of these events, wondering how you ever could have thought it would not happen...

One of these events that you subconsciously dread is learning that your best friends are buying (and building) their first house ("Dear God, I'm older than I think I am"). No longer can you support the illusion that time is running at a snail's pace for your leisure, no more the false belief that you'll never grow up into one of those dodgy old adults. Suddenly, you already are one.

In the bitter sweetness of the revelation, there is a magnificent emotion that overrides it - joy! Joy that another life will be born into the world, joy that you will be a part of this new life, sharing with his or her triumphs, and holding their hand to help them up after falling and bruising their knee.

I am one of the last of my kind in my friend circle. A good chunk of my friends have married, had kids, (or are having kids), moving into their careers, and well, growing up.

It is true when someone says to you, "time flies when you're having fun". You don't believe it until you sit back one day with your coffee in your hand and look at all you have accomplished, haven't accomplished, or are planning on accomplishing.

Horray for growing into a mature and responsible adult. And I betcha my parents thought I would be a delinquent kid.

Congratulations Ian and Lindsay- I can't wait to buy you housewarming presents!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment