<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Monday, September 6 

Pet peeves of the abusers of sociey.

Nothing drives me more nuts then when I am harassed for money by people downtown. What I dislike most about it, is the fact that when they come into my personal bubble they smell like alchohol and cigarette smoke. And that makes me want to give you money so you can continue doing that? Um. No.

While at Joey Tomatoes the other night, my parents and my parents friend and I sat and conversed about our time at the concert, my parents friends' house they are building in Canmore, my parents buying a new car, and what we were going to have for desert (as we had already had an expensive and quite filling dinner earlier).

A younger male walks in and is seated at the table next to ours. He was wearing rather ratty and dirty clothes, looked dirty, and had these amazing eyes. The waitress asked him if he wanted a menu and after he picked out his order, he asked for his bill first. The waitress printed it off, gave it to him and walked away.

He sat there pulling out his pockets for all the change he had in his pants and in his thin wallet. He sat there for numerous minutes counting the money- although he looked lost and rather confused at what he was doing. His food shortly came and he sat there enjoying a caesar salad.

I sat in my seat completely humbled. I wanted to pay for his meal, or give him money, or invite him to sit with us. I wanted to do so much for him but didn't want to make him feel like he looked like he needed help. I didn't want to potentially embaress him. He finished his meal and put all his change from his pockets into the bill folder and took it to the waitress, then left.

I am so lucky and spoiled to be able to go to all these restaurants whenever I want to, to buy new clothes at the swipe of a card, to drive a nice newish car, and feel financially secure. I am so incredibly spoiled.

Seeing this guy just made me feel spoiled. It made me feel like I didn't deserve everything I had. For that, I was humbled and sad with myself.

When I see some "street-people" who obviously abuse the system and annoy the crap out of the rest of society by asking them for money; they make me want to smack them across the face and tell them to grow up and start doing something for themselves. When I see people who look like they try and who look excited when taking themselves out for a meal when they don't look like they usually can, gives me hope that not all people are out to abuse the system.

You want some money for a coffee you say? Come to the Second Cup with me and I will buy you one. Want money for some food? I'll buy you something at McDonalds. Don't lie to me and use the money for something else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment