<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, September 21 

Us office workers are truly in a league of our own. We (most of us) work for our paycheques.

Roughly figured out, considering I am contract and hourly, I make about $35,000 a year. I don't get benefits, vacation days, or even sick days. My daily routine is never the same. I have to deal with overly irate people on the phone, have immense workloads which never seem to end, and I don't usually have the time to take breaks. I know, woe is me, but thus is life.

I drive to work each day and spend about 1/2 hour on a good day driving to work, usually stuck in traffic with other idiotic drivers. On my way home, I would average about an hour back on the Deerfoot battling those same idiotic drivers I dealt with that morning. An hour and a half of my life spent in traffic going to and forth from work. No problem. I enjoy my job.

I like to think I put more than my fair share of work in each day. I am usually at home at night thinking about things I either forgot to do during the day, need to do the next day, or how I am going to solve the latest and greatest issue that came up that I didn't get to.

I don't go to work each day solving huge problems. I don't save peoples life when I answer their stats questions. Heck, I am sure they would live another day if I didn't return their phone call as promptly as I should have.

Considering I am 21 years old, don't have any real University or College degrees to back my name up, I am doing pretty darn well for myself. My resume will show you the various customer service positions I have had over the year, some at big name places, others- just everyday ma and pa shops. And because I chose the route of not going to University right after High School, I will either have to stick with the jobs I can get right now where I am getting a whole whack load of experience, or find something else. I choose the experience.

Although I may come home crying sometimes from work and stain my pillow with my non-waterproof mascara, I think of my days as satisfying and productive.

I don't cry to the bosses when I think I deserve a raise. If I deserve one in fact, they will tell me. I will not complain I don't make a lot because really, for the lack of education and real experience- I am doing pretty well for myself.

If I hear of one more hockey player who complains because they don't make enough, maybe I will ask them if they want to take over my job for a day and see what it is like to actually have to work for their money. People in offices make real decisions and help real people out on a daily basis. The hockey player just needs to know when to pass or shoot. Tell me if that decision is worth a couple million dollars.

3 Comments:

Hm.
I was trying to make a point.

Aaron tell me this- do you think they get paid enough or too much to shoot and pass a puck?

Point taken.

Post a Comment