<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Sunday, October 31 

Catherine the Great.

(also found here on the Calgary Herald Q)

One of the reasons I enjoy reading the Calgary Herald so much, is because of Catherine Ford. Not only is she probably one of the most controversial writers for the Herald, but with her up front, no bullshit kind of talk- she makes me want to be just like her.

After a gazillion years of being a writer, she has thrown in her hat and called it a day. This is the kind of lady I really admire. I had the chance to meet her at John Gilchrist's book launch for his, "My Favourite Restaurants in Calgary and Banff" back last fall. She was standing across the room from me and just as I was heading over to meet her, she was on her way out the door. Unfortunately our paths did not meet, but I did send her an email telling her that I wasn't sure what I enjoyed reading more; her pieces in the paper or the letters from the readers to the editor after she published something. I received an email back from her saying,

"Megan: It is to blush. What lovely words to a total stranger. Thank you, thank you.
Catherine Ford"

Ms. Ford had never gone to school for journalism. She landed her career by not what she knew, but who she knew. 40 years later- look at where she is. Definitely a place I would love to be.

Some quotes taken from her controversial pieces included:

- "Admitting a liking for politicians is like eating liver - it results in some strange looks and choked comments from friends."

- "I'd rather be wrong than wishy-washy."

- "Women are suppose to be done when leaving the house. Major facial repairs and the inspection and cleaning of dental work don't belong in public. Men look ridiculous priming unless they're making a lifestyle statement. Snip your fingernails, clean the wax out of your ears and comb your moustache at home. Anyone paring his toenails in public needs more help than I can possibly give. Perhaps a few days at the zoo would be of assistance."

Thanks for your words Ms. Ford. I will be missing them deeply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment