<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Thursday, November 11 

I had the vague impression I had accomplished something.

Due to my ignorance in junior and high school, I never paid much attention to the real important things in class, like studying. Sure, I read the Calgary Herald front to back each morning, I am always scanning the news websites for up to date info, but there is a lot of stuff I am still lacking. I can't randomly jump into a conversation about Yasser Arafat or about the state of Russia, or about the Euro currency. However, I can tell you everything you want to know about the latest fashions walking down the red carpet, kick ass rock out music, and what the gas prices are.

When I was in grade 10, I went to Europe. Originally this trip was just a choir "tour" but what it turned into was one of the most educational experiences of my life. I learned so much more about history when I was literally touring around these historical places than I did sitting in an uncomfortable desk reading it out of a text book.

One of the many places I visited was Vimy Ridge. (Side note: This park was dedicated to Canada as a National monument back when it was completed in 1936. The French Government granted, "freely, and for all time, to the Government of Canada the free use of the land exempt from all taxes". How kind of them. ) Now, while in Europe, an average every day tourist probably wouldn't take time out of their trip to check out this site, and that was just the reason why it was that much better. Maple trees stood on the side of the road entering the monument, Canadian flags, greener than green grass; it was amazing. It was truly a site I will never forget. After Vimy, actually in the same day, I traveled to Ypres, and Flanders Fields. Nothing though compared to Vimy.

When I got back from Europe, I was lucky enough to be studying World War 1 in social class. I was able to contribute so much more to class because I was literally at these sites, than I would have been able to if I hadn't gone to some of these places. If I could do it all over again, I would go back to school in a second. I would pay attention even if I was bored out of my mind, and I would get my priorities a little straighter than I had them. Such is life. I can only convince my younger friends, maybe even one day... Heaven forbid, my own children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment