<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Friday, November 19 

Neighbourhood on a Stick.

This post is also found on the Calgary Herald Q section.

Not a weekend goes by where the Calgary Herald Homes section isn't reporting on some new development going up outside of Calgary. Bigger houses, more spectacular views (because the other views were built in front of), and even further away from the busyness of inner city life. And now, because so many of us are living in the suburbs, Calgary's mid-town traffic scene is something I dread more than anything in the morning and at the end of the day. Everyone funnelling out to their respective burb along one of the two or three routes they can take to their neighbourhood-on-a-stick, and getting in my way as I try my damnedest to get home to my real neighbourhood.

A few weekends ago, people were purchasing hay bails with numbers on it which represented the lot where their new million dollar home would be built. Although intrigued with the fact that someone camped out over night in order to be able to purchase their lot first thing the next day, I was also shocked by their need to live so far outside the city.

Here's what I don't understand. What's wrong with living deep in the city? Why are people so inclined to live on the outskirts of town when those outskirts creep up and envelop them in a few years anyway. In effect, why are we so hell-bent on living in the future midskirts of a big sprawl of fungus and doom ourselves to four hours a day of commuter torture?

I honestly can't answer that question myself because I'm an inner-city citizen. Yes, I have all the Good Life amenities within walking or driving distance to where I live. Groceries, book stores, a gym, and of course five Starbukses.

Don't get me wrong. Driving is fine. I'll admit I'm one of those Calgarians who can't be pried from their car, even by a team of hot firemen. Driving is everything for me. I drive to the dog park for my dog walk, to the local 7-11, to the movie store, to work, and anywhere else I want to go without the hassle of walking. But those are short drives on sensibly managed inner city streets! They're not epic commutes on one of a few clogged artery freeways to Nowhere? where lots are going fast and cars are going slow.

What would happen if City Council stopped whining about sprawl like I am, and used their few powers to encourage builders to build deep within the city's boundaries instead of pushing and redefining those boundaries. Tax incentives, bonuses, gift baskets, whatever it took. Wouldn't that be something. Imagine a bright shining future Calgary with a beautiful soft candy center and a crusty old abandoned suburban shell. Yum.

2 Comments:

Look- Mr. Mike Pal commented on this on the Calgary Herald website...
http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/q/view.html?id=ddab3d4d-e048-4f5e-a403-45f5eaab3f24&soundoff=142160

Step 1: The city needs to get serious about making the downtown more accessable. As fun as it is to brave downtown traffic, and on top of that hunt for a parking spot like the elusive white buffalo ... I'll pass.

Step 2: The city needs to encourage more development to attract people downtown. Eau Claire market is a good example. A wonderful mall going to waste because the owners are taking their sweet time developing it into something great.

Post a Comment