<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Friday, January 28 

Band Interview: The Fray

Funny funny thing happened once I submitted this interview to Fresh Tracks Music... the artist/music director quit due to circumstances at the company, FTM. So. This just might be the last interview. Anyways, these guys are actually a super good band. I would highly recommend hearing them out on the FTM site... and then buying their record... and then sending them fan mail that they can post up in the studio while they are recording their first REAL record. Really really- do it.

Their addy is: The Fray - PO Box 29056, Denver Colorado, 80229, USA.

In the meantime, read this superstar interview:

The Fray's drummer, Ben Wysocki's, answers:

FTM: So Epic just signs you. You're off to the studios to be locked up until April laying your souls out on a new record. You have to tell me just how excited you are about this.

BW: Oh my gosh! You have no idea, it's very exciting! When something that big happens to you it makes you feel pretty small sometimes. A scout/ a&r guy from Epic came across an article online about us winning "Best Rock Band" at a showcase here in Denver. So he came out a couple times and then we flew to New York to play for the rest of the company. They liked us, so then came a couple months of negotiations and now here we are. Its all happened really fast, and still is, so we've had to do a lot of re-adjusting to this sort of pace. But we'd have it no other way, and feel very blessed with the opportunities given to us.

FTM: Must be one of those craziest years of your life.

BW: Yeah, for sure the craziest year of my life... so far.

FTM: Besides this, any highlight of musical career so far?

BW: No one in particular, but overall I've been really blessed to be able to play music with some of my best friends over my 20 years of life. It's a cool thing to share with a friend... or three.

FTM: Any lowlights so far?

BW: Working myself physically sick from the busy schedule. I just don't know how balance all this and take care of myself yet.

FTM: What have you learned about yourself since being in The Fray?

BW: I always speak to soon. I don't think before I speak, and I should. The guys are helping me learn.

FTM: Describe your year to me in 5 words:

BW: Wow- fianc�, life changing, and busy.

FTM: What would you say to the world if you were on a soap box right now?

BW: Start loving the people close to you RIGHT NOW. And love and make art.

FTM: Who have you met that just knocked your socks off?

BW: A lot of people impress me I can't think of one for you right now. But I will say, without sounding sentimental, or maybe sentimental is ok, anyways... the other three guys in this band impress me a lot.

They go through a lot putting up with me, and I learn from them everyday. So they impress me.

FTM: Most surreal moment so far?

BW: Playing to a sold out crowd of 1,104 people last week. It's hard to understand that over a thousand people would want to come and listen to us make music. It's an amazing thing. I'll just have to get used to it, or maybe I never will.

FTM: Sounds like your Denver fans love you. So how did you get recognized?

BW: We made some good friends at a local publication called, Westword. They helped us out a lot. It kind of all started there and then we were asked to come do local shows at the radio stations, and more and more opportunities rolled in.

FTM: Tell me about your best gig of 2004.

BW: It has to have been our signing party show at the Fox Theater in Boulder, Colorado. It was a sold out room packed with people who wanted to support us, and that feels amazing.

FTM: Do you go to many concerts of other artists? Who was the best?

BW: Wilco. I didn't go to many shows this year, but I just love this band.

FTM: You must have a favorite album. Who?

BW: I don't have only one. Damien Rice? Did that come out this year or last, I don't know, but it's amazing.

FTM: Your music has a very unique sound to it. Your lyrics are deep and thought-provoking. What is the story behind "Vienna"?

BW: You'd have to get the full story from Isaac. But it's definitely a 'lost love' sort of song. A lot of what he writes comes from that department, but now he's found love, she's awesome, and the songs are going to sound a little different.

FTM: On your website, (
www.thefray.net), you mentioned a benefit show for the Tsunami Relief Effort. How did that go?

BW: It was all put together by the local rock radio station, here in Denver, KTCL 93.3fm. They did an awesome job, and we raised a ton of money. It was a very cool thing.

FTM: Looking ahead, what are your plans for 2005?

BW: My year looks like this, record our first album for a major record company. Play a lot of shows in cities we've never played music in before. Plan my wedding, play some more shows, plan some more of my wedding, get married, release out first album every on a major record company, do a lot of press for the album, be with my wife, Christmas then bam 2006!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment