<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, February 15 

Don't make me come down there. - God.

Also found on the Calgary Herald website.

Give. Me. Strength.

For the love of God, literally.

On Monday, my mom and I trekked out to Revelstoke, BC for the funeral of a close friend. She lived a long, hearty life- it was too bad the Priest performing the service didn't know that. I have never been to a Catholic Church before. Maybe my head has been too far in the clouds to notice a huge difference between the various denominations and sects in the church (or more properly, in Christendom since they all claim to be the only "church"). What I do know is that when I went to the Anglican church, it sure seemed a lot more friendly than the Catholic church in Revelstoke.

The time came in the service where communion was served. I went to Confirmation class; I studied the reasons why we take the bread and the wine. I understand what's going on. So, I followed my grandma and my mom up the line to receive the sacrificial bread. I took it, and walked back to my seat unknowingly that the Priest was watching me.

The Priest walked up to me, opened my hand and said, "we take this very seriously" and took back the bread. My row of people sat there in awe of what just happened.

While we were leaving from the church, the Priest pulled me aside and says, "We take giving the bread out very seriously. I don't think you understood what you were doing". I looked at him, said thank you and left.

Welcome to God's house. Oh, but you don't seem worthy enough so I am just going to take this back.

Later at the reception, the Priest came up to me, after taking sandwiches from each table, and says, "I believe that you were going to sacrifice the bread to the dark side". I couldn't believe it. I felt like laughing in his face. I said, "just to let you know, I wasn't going to. But thanks".

A friend of mine, Steve has this to say: "You can call it a sacrament or communion or anything you choose to but the reality of the 'taking of bread and wine' is that it's a memorial service - thankfully remembering that Jesus paid our bill so that we could be God's kids. Period. End of story. In light of that, chasing anyone away in a spirit of unforgiveness or judgementalism is in fact to deny what Jesus has accomplished in them and for them. It is the most profane desecration of what that bread & juice/wine symbolizes. I'll be blunt so you see how strongly I feel about it. I'd rather you wipe your ass with the communion bread than tell a believer she can't share in it."

In the place where you should feel most accepted, I felt most out of place. I grew up in the Church. I don't practice my religion much anymore, but enough that I shouldn't feel shunned in a different Church and especially by a Priest.

2 Comments:

I am speachless. If that happened to me I would take it to the head of the church. He had no right to do that! Taking communion is between you and God.

This was posted on the Calgary Herald website by one of the other bloggers.
http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/q/story.html?id=606d0ed3-f22d-43aa-92b0-4eef9f0c19df

Post a Comment