<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Monday, February 7 

Part One - Find the right place.

Also on the Calgary Herald website.

The search is on and here come the Realtors in the backstretch.

I checked out the first condo site on Saturday and found myself feeling like a kid in a candy store. Backsplash upgrades, underground parking, cement walls (so you don't have to hear your potentially loud neighbours), a courtyard pond, entertainment room, and floor to ceiling windows. Who wouldn't want that? Um. Me.

While the new condos definitely offer something new and appealing to the eye, the ones I saw didn't have the "move into me now and feel at home" feel to them. Granted, they are designed to be a show home and show homes already have that "don't touch me" look about them, but it's exactly that non-charm which makes me want to buy an older place.

Although some may think of me as rather high maintenance (no idea where they got that idea from), my tastes are actually very low maintenance, which is why I would prefer an older, more lived-in place - not a new place that still has that new place smell. Just try to find a new place with some character. It almost seems as though some of the brand spankin' new properties on the market are built for those who want it handed to them in Ikea shrink wrap plastic with faux new car smell. Heck, I think I prefer a house. A place where I can shovel my own walk, have a fenced yard for my plethora of pets, older hardwood flooring, and character. Lots of character.

Unfortunately, those places are getting harder to find. The prices of single family homes are skyrocketing to the point where I am going to be lucky to afford a place of my own without having to marry some uber rich guy... or a decent medium-income guy.

Who would have thunk that single family homes have an average price of $258,000. Definitely not me. Time to save more than just pennies I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment