<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Wednesday, February 23 

Take that evil bullies.

Also found on the Calgary Herald Q website.

I went to my locker in grade 8 totally unsuspecting of the plot that had been set against me. There he was, one of the coolest guys in my class (and someone I had a stupid crush on) standing at my locker. I couldn't figure out why there were so many people in my grade standing around my locker- and then realized what had happened from the whispers. He was bet $25 to kiss me.

I slammed my locker door and ran away. He ended up not getting paid because he didn't do it- but that was something that stuck with me all the way through school. At the time I was crushed that my peers would plot something like that against me... but also not surprised. Kids are mean. Kids are brutal. Especially to unsuspecting kids like me.

I was never considered cool or popular or hip or trendy. I definitely beat to my own drum and didn't follow anyone else's. I didn't wear the Doc Martens (primarily because I couldn't afford them), I didn't wear the cool Guess clothing, and I didn't have the look apparently. Such is life. Not everyone could have been as unique and original as I was.

Obviously these incidents put a bit of a damper on my grade school experience. The only time it got better was when I finally graduated from High School and vowed never to see those people again. Now, as I live my day to day life- I see some of these people on a regular basis. Some of them pump my gas, some serve me dinner. Some even ask me if I "want fries with that?"

It breaks my heart to see and hear the stories of kids in school being beat up by their peers. Who appointed them to the high seat? Not me and not many of the people I know. Schools claim to have safe environments but are these places really that safe? I had a couple of teachers who didn't even blink an eye when things were going on in their classes.

This whole bully thing seems to be a bit of an epidemic. I would put it right up there with all the other epidemics in the world. Who needs to be called fat or stupid or be pushed at school? Kids have been killed from being bullied. What needs to happen to these kids who act as the bullies? I originally thought to blow them away with the Ghostbusters gun but that might not be looked upon as too favourable.

What would happen if we stopped trying to stop bullying with rules, abut instead looked at ways to arm kids against bullies with so much confidence in themselves that even the best bully couldn't undermine it. Pep talks and feel-good crap? Nope. Something bigger. I don't know what yet, but I see it in some kids.

2 Comments:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Faith in God. Knowing God. He is pretty darn BIG! Just ask Job! God doesn?t waste his time with crap. He died for you so you must be pretty damn special. He doesn't love you as a charity case! He loves you because he knows you better than you do and he knows you are worth it. Discovering and then Buying into his vision for your life.
Would you rather listen to an uninformed turkey or a qualified genius?

Post a Comment