<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, March 8 

14 days.

Also found on the Calgary Herald Q page.

I am one of those narrow minded ignorant twentysomething buffoons who Jeremy Klaszus speaks of in his piece about the myths of the Canadian traveler. At least up until the point where he points out how un-classy it is to pride ourselves on the fact we?re not American while touring.

In only a week and a bit, I am off to the land of pizza and pasta and the Pope for 3 weeks of traveling by backpack. This is something new to me as I usually tote around a fairly large black suitcase which has wheels and a pull handle on it. I believe I am in for a bit of a surprise.

One of the first things that had to be done while preparing for my trip abroad was the purchase of a Canadian flag. This flag will symbolize me, as a Canadian, from the land of Timmy Ho's and hockey. This flag will help me when I need it- heck, it worked on my first excursion to Europe, why am I to think differently this time?

This flag may also symbolize my ignorance to the fact that just because I am a Canadian, doesn't mean everyone will be nice to me. I have to do that on my own.

The rest of the trip will be properly planned out. I have borrowed CDs on "How to learn Italian in only 15 minutes a day", rented the Lonely Planet's guide to Italy video and bought maps which are posted up on my bedroom walls. Sticky notes with arrows on them have plotted where I will either be going, or where I would like to go. Other Post It notes have been placed all over my room walls with sayings such as, "I am lost- Help" or "Do you speak English better than I speak Italian?"

I have taken pride in the fact that ignorance is not bliss, especially in a foreign country where their cultures are way different to mine. I have taken pride on the fact that while I am in Italy, I best not be stepping on any toes of the citizens there by making stupid comments about their lifestyle. And I have taken pride in the fact that I am in their land- I obey their rules.

Although the one thing that I will keep guarded with me, is the Canadian flag. For some reason it has a rather safe feeling to it.

2 Comments:

Exquisite.

Our flag feels like a security blanket for myself as well.

People have seen the flag and purchased me drinks. Twice.

Thankfully, our national reputation takes a long time to extinguish.

I thought pizza was invented in New York?

Post a Comment