<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Monday, March 7 

I am in no way saying I am perfect- but neither is that.

Also found on the Calgary Herald Q site.

The other night I came across an interesting guy at the pub. He sat there all smug looking, smoking his Du Maurier, drinking his Stella Artois and wearing his Tommy Hilfiger. I struck up a random conversation with him by asking what he was taking at the U of C.

He looks at me and says, "Accounting- it was the easiest program I could get into. And as long as I am at school, my Dad is still supplying me with his Visa card and paying for my car and condo".

I was stunned. Stunned because he so openly told me this without feeling any shame that he was a 25 year old kid who still relied on his Daddy's gold card.

I started working when I was 14 and from then on had various jobs and was expected to pay for things like summer camps, most of my clothes for school and the extras. At first I was shocked and probably went through tantrums because my other friends didn't have to do this. But now that I think of it, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Mind you, I get off fairly easy by continuing to live at home. Cheaper rent and utilities and of course, still get the luxury of Dads cooking and I am actively looking for a condo.

But I don't rely on my Dad to get me through things like life when I feel too lazy to do it for myself. I think I hit a certain age and these things became my problem- not his, to deal with.

A person, who I might have found to be fairly attractive at the beginning of the night, quickly shot down those feelings of mine when he opened his mouth and told me about how non-independent he is from his parents. And how he is still being babied and loving it.

Gentlemen, there is nothing more unappealing than you still living off your parents at the ripe ol' age of 25. Move out. Live off yourself and your own income. Leave your parents alone.

6 Comments:

BRAVO!! BRAVO!!!

He's also a post secondary student. Note: student. He's not working; consequently there is no income for him to support himself ON.

And many people justify their childhoods (perhaps not even consciously) and claim that while uncomfortable at the time, they're all the better for having had one parent around, or that they didn't have much money, or whatever the specific detail was. But, I'm convinced that everyone would rather get free cash from their parents long after they do.

People with deficiencies will find anything to boast about. "Sure, it's a 1988 Toyota Tercel, but it's great on gas!"

Rrrright. I agree but you missed my point.
Where I said, "He looks at me and says,"Accounting- it was the easiest program I could get into. And as long as I am at school, my Dad is still supplying me with his Visa card and paying for my car and condo"."

Come on. He's told me he was only taking the easy classes so his dad still paid for his lifestyle.

While I may have understated a desirable response to your obvious point that, in simple terms, this guy seems lazy and proud of it, I am still compelled to assert my original posit.

Basically, I think you're jealous. :)

As a minor aside, I can imagine he might have been, at least in his own mind, bragging about his easy lifestyle to attract you more. While it obviously didn't have that effect, If he knew that you were a "proud career woman" he might have told you the same story with a different spin. For example, "I can't wait to get out of the University. I get to live in my parent's condo and I use my dad's Visa card, but I'm so anxious to stand on my own two feet."

Same situation, different perspective.

Yah see it's not hot. No way is it hot. How is living off your parents at that age and proud of it something to be proud of? Maybe I grew up on the other side of tracks where being self sufficient was a good thing.

And contrary to your belief, I am not jealous IN the slightest. Thanks though.

Thanks for your comments though. :)

You're welcome. I don't mean to be rude. ;)

Post a Comment