<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Wednesday, April 27 

And I thought they actually cared.

Also on the Calgary Herald Q website.

Recently, I found myself with a group of people who I hadn't seen in a while. Some were friends who I hadn't seen in a while and who I have genuinely missed their contact and others, well; they were just old friends who just turned into being acquaintances.

The most common question that came up during our mingling was, "So, how are you doing?" Like really. Do these people who I hadn't seen in years really care about how I was doing? If they did, they could have shown some more enthusiasm or interest.

I could have thrown them off and answered like this:

Joe Blow: "How are you doing?"

Megan: "Thanks for asking! I have a bit of a cramp today. Oh and my back left tooth hurts - probably the molar - I'm guessing I might have a cavity. And then the bank account isn't looking so hot as it's reading -$23.94 until next payday. Other than that, I woke up this morning without a headache, so I think I am doing a-ok."

Those are the answers that people fall over backwards hearing because they never expected it. For whatever reason in our society it seems to be the social norm to just ask someone how they are while greeting them. This doesn't mean you want their life story, this just means a basic one or two word answer. Anything more than that is something not quite bargained for.

In answering the question, I could have whipped up something real witty just to catch them off guard but no, I came up with the answer most come up with which is: "Fine thanks, and how are you?" But after enough people's eyes glaze over when you actually dive into a long winded answer by telling them the truth, I begin to wonder why people ask how you're doing if they really aren?t showing the interest.

Just a word of caution to you: if you ask me, I'm going to answer honestly. Like, really honestly. So don't be surprised or offended if I throw you off with something other then the ol' "fine thanks" comment. After all, you asked me.

2 Comments:

I am not blaming them. I am simply saying that pulling the bullshit line everytime someone asks you how you're doing is getting a little tiring, not to mention meaningless. Why ask if you don't care? Maybe I'm getting too wrapped up in semantics here.

Read this:
http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/q/view.html?id=fd0485e7-db30-4ac5-97f5-674bf57b6935&soundoff=215368

Post a Comment