<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Sunday, April 24 

Smart.

Also found on the Calgary Herald website.

I want a bug green coloured one and I want the interior to be orange. I've seen the colour combo. And if I get bored with that, I can always take off the paneling and try it all over again.

So why is the Smart car called "Smart". It doesn't drive itself. It doesn't fill up gas by itself. And it definitely doesn't wash itself.

The company that designed and is producing these little guys, DaimlerChrysler, shipped the little dappers off to Canada in their North American debut in 2004. Since then, seeing them on the street has been a small spectacle. Well, obviously when they're stacked up against the Ford Escalade they will look odd in comparison.

Since 1999 when the Smart Car was introduced in Europe, over 100,000 of them were sold worldwide (a statistic produced by Transport Canada in 2004).

These cars are as cute as a spotted pup - but why aren't there more of them on North American roads? To look at them, the answer seems almost clear: size. To be in a head on collision with this bite sized car would probably be one of them scariest experiences in your life, and probably the last one too; I would assume so anyway. And according to the Car Enthusiast, while the car is relatively safe on paper, but it is not very likely to win a fight with momentum.

In Europe, these cars are as popular as Tim Hortons is to Canadians. They are the epitome of chic in Rome and Milan. The fact that most of the vehicles are roughly the same size, (ok slightly longer and wider than the 2.5 meter long Smart) would probably make me feel a little safer to drive in.

If I wasn't so afraid of watching SUV's hubcaps pass by me on city streets, this little fuel efficient wonder would be parked in my garage. And at only $22,250 for a fully loaded Smart Car, why wouldn't you make the transition to a smaller car rather than a gas guzzling SUV?

In Canada unfortunately this car isn't as practical as it would be if we were living in Europe. I'd love one but I am not so sure I could go grocery shopping in it. And it wouldn't be all that practical if I needed to move to a new home. And I guess my dog wouldn't really be down with it.

On the plus side, you can park in any space possible including perpendicular to the sidewalk. That certainly seems smart to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment