<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, June 21 

Respect is one option you won't find listed on the sticker of a new car.

Also on the Calgary Herald Q.

He sat there on the edge of the desk and said, "You cut me a cheque for that amount and we have a deal". After a quick 'hum' and 'ha', I realized the repercussions of jumping into a deal like that made me a little nervous; I was afraid this might be too much of an emotional purchase. And that can only mean bad news.

He knew I was vulnerable, and that I was just a girl; just a girl with not much knowledge on cars. Don't get me wrong, I know a couple things about cars. I know where the gas goes, how to change the washer fluid, what the engine light means and that the spare tire is a bitch to put on my car.

But as the two men were sitting there looking intent on making a little extra coin for their wallets, I knew I was being treated like a girl and that was one feeling I couldn't shake. But then the more I thought of it, the more I realized how many situations I get myself into where I am not treated with the same respect I would have if I was with a male. And all these situations relate to my car.

Which man should I take with me to ensure I get a fair deal? While there is a certain comfort to having a male around, who to pick is also a tough choice. Do I pick my dad? It helps that he is 6'7 and has the best serious look around. Or do I take a boy-friend who might know a little more about the recent car market. Or do I take my brother who would be more concerned with whether or not he is able to drive it?

While men are more likely to go into the dealership with a make, model and knowledge of the ponies under the hood, a girl (such as me) will know the colour, maybe the make and that I want a sunroof. And in that event, I can't really blame the salespeople to take a little more advantage of me and my lack of knowledge on the car.

Sure, it's a bit of a disadvantage being a female consumer in the car industry in this male-oriented, male-dominated business. For now, I'll be brushing up my skills on what's under the hood so I can strut my stuff when the next dealer asks me if I felt seduced by the colour and the shape. I can then go on to say, "actually - the ponies under the hood are what's turning my crank".

Considering over 80% of women make all car-buying decisions, one would think the dealerships car manuals would address how to sell to a woman. But until that day, I will eagerly await with baited breath, for a dealer who respects me for the consumer I am.

2 Comments:

As a 24 year old male consumer, I've been looked at sideways when shopping around for a new ride. They usually take me more seriously when I start asking about the sodium filled exhaust valves, or whether or not the differential is a helical limited slip or not. Yeah, it'd be nice if car dealers gave straight answers all the time to everyone, but until they do, do your homework. It's not fair, but it works.

The first car company that figures out how to market effectively to women is going to be rich... RICH I tells ya. Because you're right, women make most of the financial decisions in the Western world (well, the "spending" part at least), including car purchases.

Post a Comment