<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Friday, July 15 

3 more days.

Sneak a Peak night was probably my best time out on the grounds this year. Calgary's own Strada and Vancouver's Stabilo were rocking it up on the Coke Stage, the grounds were still uncluttered by garbage, the games and rides looked partially amusing, and the fireworks display seemed better than last year's memories. After that, I do believe everything else is just as it is every other year; overpriced, dirty, and fake.

Now, don't get me wrong. My Wranglers aren't too tight. I believe this is a great way to get our city on the map in the way of events every year. What I really don't like though are the "Crackerjack-Cowboys" who come out for 10 days of the year and pretend to be boot-wearing hicks. No wonder people think of our town as a Hick-Town or Cow-Town. Heck, I believe it this week.

We have what is dubbed the "Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth" right in our own backyard. It is indeed great seeing the studly guys in their hats and wicked attire, kids in cute little cowboy suits, dogs prancing around with cowboy hats, but is the overboozing really necessary? Or does it just come with the partying territory?

It seems that for this week of Stampede, everyone lets their inhibition go down the hole. Bars are stocked full of people until all hours of the morning, the cops are working double duty keeping the rowdy of the rowdy from getting too out of control, and the twang of the country that they call music is blaring from every car, truck and bar.

Sure, the Stampede is great for the economy. It brings people from all over the world to check out our city, surrounding areas, and take in a little Yeehaw-action. Thank God it isn't like this all year round.

I guess I have two options. I can suck it up and throw a cowboy hat on for the week, or I can leave town and come back when the garbage is cleaned up and the carnies have taken their show to Edmonton for Klondike Days. Sigh, the mini-donuts are just so darn good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment