<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Friday, July 22 

To my Ma and Pa who, for some greater reason than I can offer, are still holding strong at 25.

Also found on the Calgary Herald site.

In only a few short weeks, I will be making my way westward to Vancouver where I have organized a small party for my parents. Now, this isn't just any kind of party - this is their 25th wedding anniversary. A milestone to some, just another day to others. To me, this is huge. I can say that I am one of the rare kids my age, lucky enough to have parents who have made it 25 years together. Crazy to believe though that over 50% of marriages these days end in divorce.

The dedication to each other through thick and thin, sickness and health, and everything else you proclaim to the witnesses on that special day; has been extraordinarily admirable. But there is something I have noticed and that is our older population, the over 70 age group. They seem to have so much more appreciation and love towards their significant others.

What's changed so much in the past couple years that these milestones are so rare amongst my generation?

I met a couple over the past weekend who had the love in their eyes as would young teenage kids. Married 62 years, these now mid 80 year olds had a passion to them I definitely hope I can carry through my relationships. They still kissed each other goodnight, he still told her how beautiful she was, and they could finish each others stories. So maybe I am a bit of a sap, but this got my heart in a flutter.

Are long term marriages a thing of the past? Are they out like bellbottoms and fabric wallpaper? Or is society more overshadowed by the high profile celebrity breakups, which make us look at the failures in relationships a little closer?

Let's hope not. The older couple I met definitely give me something to strive for. And with my parents embarking on the next 25 years of their marriage, they offer even more light at the end of the tunnel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment