<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Wednesday, March 29 

No leaning tower for you!

The saying "when it rains it pours" was first said by a person who experienced the downfall in Tuscany. The person was bang on - it poured and it poured some more. Today would be the worst day of our trip. I was cold, I was bitter, I was tired and my feet hurt. I was pmsing and you did not want to get in my way.

We managed to catch the first train from Padova to Florence and we were on a mission. Padova to Florence, Florence to Sienna, Sienna back to Florence and then Florence to Pisa then back to Florence. Thank goodness for the Eurorail pass; 700 Euros well spent. Although our intentions were in the right place, the Gods were acting against us. We would not see what we wanted to see, our tensions would ride our coat tails the whole day and taxis would hate us and would attempt to spray water on us at every opportunity.

The hostel was a plethora of emotions. I was mad that it wasn't the Sheraton and nervous that I would have another naked German lady sleep above me. I just wanted to be comfortable and safe where I was staying, not be concerned about getting up at the crack of dawn to fetch a piece of the famous coffee cake the hostel made every morning. Our bags were put in a "secure" room and we were back to catch the train with our borrowed umbrella from the hostel. It was raining like I had never seen rain before.

A two block walk back to the train station, we were soon off to Sienna, the second destination on our day excursion.

Sienna was dark and wet and immediately gave off bad vibes from the lack of buses and taxis which passed the bus station. We stood in a bus shelter for over an hour, waiting for some form of transportation which would bring us into town. After the frustration hit the point of insane, we managed to find a taxi and shared it with a girl on her way into town. This would be the last taxi we would see that day.

Our mission was simple - we need to see the Duomo. We were pointed in what seemed like the right direction and hustled in order to complete the days list of activities. A picture here, another one there - I posed for one only to find out I had the most sour look on my face. I was unimpressed beyond doubt. We headed back to the train station in order to make the next connection to Pisa.

We stood at bus stops and ran around looking for taxis. We had to walk back down the streets to the bottom of what seemed like a colossal mountain. After my knee giving out, pants soaked with rain, umbrella caving under the pressure of wind - we finally made it but not in time to make it to Pisa. No leaning tower for us.

Back in Florence, dinner was needed and the only place which would do that for us was a little well known place recommended by the locals. Later, a walk through the city, over the famous bridge, to the gelato shoppe and back to bed. We could explore the city better tomorrow - we had all day before the train to our next destination left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment