<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, April 4 

Great. Where was I?

I sure didn't get the 1000 count linens I was hoping for so bad, but I ended up making a friend or two and seeing a couple sights with our Fabio tourguide. Realizing that Aaron might know a thing or two about hostels, I backed off and decided he wasn't so dumb afterall.

The Pope wasn't doing well and we got the first hint of that while walking into Vatican City; news vehicles and stand by media were everywhere. Everyone was ready to break the news that the Pope had passed. It was hot, musty, humid and sweaty all at once - walking around I felt gross and ached for a shower.

While touring Rome, we saw the Mouth of Truth, the pristine Sistine Chapel, St Peters Basilica, the jawdropping Pantheon and more. The sights were second to none; I was seeing things I had only read about. Everything was suddenly real to me. I was in Rome. I was in Italy.

Our stay seemed short, too short. We were off to Naples where I had booked a room with a view of the ocean. I was excited - it was my first booking, although things just weren't adding up. We said farewell to our friends who we met at the hostel and who we had toured around with for the stay at the hostel and we were off to Napoli - home of the best pasta and pizza. This was suppose to be what Italy was all about. We'll see about that.

Not even 10 minutes into our visit to Naples and we were already in trouble. The person who I booked the room through didn't speak english. After speaking to about seven different people to get the directions, finding a taxi and trying to explain the directions to him - we were dropped off in a back alley and quickly heard the sound of screeching tires as our cabbie took off. We were left abandoned and with no idea as to where we were. Shortly thereafter, a guy not much older than us called us and we followed him to the room. he looked like a mobster, gold around his neck and wrists, smoking like a chimney and not a word of english coming out of his mouth. We only assumed he was trying to get our attention really... it was just a bunch of italian mumbo-jumbo that neither one of us understood.

My backpack was heavy, my feet hurt and I was soaking wet from the downpour. Ugh.

The room certainly didn't have a view of the ocean, the walls were painted in a sea blue colour which could have easily been confused. The beds weren't made, it was dirty and we were told that another guest would be staying in the same room. After a short pow-wow, we declined and hoofed it to the main street where we could hopefully find a real hostel. After a couple hours of walking through the puddles, being turned down by numerous hostels, we finally found one down one of the sketchiest avenues yet. A steep walk up 5 flights of marble stairs and we were greeted with a glass of water by a tall grey haired man. For only 100 Euros, we were shown to a room with 3 beds and a view of the ocean. Mind you, it was only the faint view of the sea - but a view nonetheless.

We were told where to eat pizza and we did. It was the best tuna pizza I have ever had. Too bad we were also told to bring something to secure ourselves with like a weapon. Great. Where was I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment