<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Sunday, April 2 

When in Rome, envision better things.

If first impressions really mattered the most, I was screwed. It was noisy beyond belief, the security guards had guns bigger than my mammoth backpack and I was staying in yet another hostel. By this point one would think I would be warming up to hostels and the fraternizing with other travelers my age, but no.

Due to my natural abilities to navigate through anything, I was the 'chosen one' when it came to finding places - such as hostels. If I was really smart, I would have navigated our way to the Best Western located only a block down from the place we were staying. We walked up to a large door located in between two restaurants with patio dining, and pushed a buzzer for the hostel. He hates me. I knew it. We were staying in the slums of Rome in a hostel with 24/7 partying which could be heard 4 stories down. I think I feel a tear coming on.

We were let in and told to walk up 3 flights of marble stairs. One thing that surprised me about this country was the overuse of marble and granite on the floors - mainly on stairs. We pay ridiculous prices for these slabs to be put on our counters, and here, we walk on them. Tite. The door opened with a heavy push and the waft of beer, sweat and illegal smoking came pummeling out of the room. Tears really are streaming down my face. We were told which floor to go to and find our bunks.

I was hungry, bitter and ready to today to be over. A small underground (literally) family run pasta place was the first appetizing place to sit down and eat at. I had been waiting for my dose of pasta - up until now it was only pizza and paninis. Dinner was mowed down quickly and back to Yellow it was for us. To bed, to sleep; to envision myself sleeping comfortably between a down filled duvet and 1000 count linens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment