<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Thursday, June 1 

Lindsay's Whirlwind Adventure.

My girlfriend, Lindsay, went to Japan to take some Japanese course and get a first hand experience of what the Jap culture is really like. Her email today made me laugh pretty stinkin' hard hence the reason I'm sharing it with you:


Greetings All,

The weekend of the 26th till the 28th was our homestay weekend, and as you can likely infer from the subject of this email it was not the funnest weekend of my life. For homestay, each one of us (from Calgary) was sent to a different family to stay for the weekend. We were instructed to bring gifts, be polite and always keep in mind that our stay only lasts a weekend. The last two especially became my mantra for the weekend.

I was picked up by my homestay "mother" (using the loosest sense of the word) at the dorm on Friday night 30min after she was supposed to arrive. On the information sheet I received from the school it said that I was staying with a non-smoking family. The first thing the homestay mother said to me was that she lied on the form and that she does in fact smoke.... in the car.... in the house.... During meals.... In front of her children.... I wouldn't be surprised if she smokes in the shower. The family consisted of her, and her two daughters Oohlala(6) and Maria(8). I'm not kidding, the kid's name was actually Oohlala. I wouldn't name a dog Ohlala. Talk about getting a playground ass kicking! They also had a boy staying with them who was nine, and I couldn't figure out how he fit in to the picture.

We arrived at her house at about 7:30 on Friday night. My impression from the outside was "wow, what a nice house." You know how they say 'don't judge a book by its cover' well 'they' were very right! The inside of their house was filthy!!!!! Like call child services filthy!!! Their upstairs toilet was covered in feces. I saw the older of their 2 dogs shit on the floor and the "mother" picked up the poop (sort of) but didn't clean the floor. And on Sunday morning when I was making my bed I discovered dirty laundry (not mine) between the sheets of the bed that I had been sleeping in for tonight. I don't know about you, but to me that implies that those sheets were NOT cleaned before I slept in them...gross!

On Saturday the families were instructed to take us somewhere in order to show us more of Japan. We ended up at this stupid kids only mall and playpark where I spent NINE HOURS watching her horrible children play. Sunday was more of the same. She took the 5 of us to some stupid children's party at their local community center. Where there were even MORE screaming children which went well with my pounding headache.

The whole situation was made even better by the fact that the homestay mother became very frustrated with my Japanese very quickly which resulted in almost total silence on my behalf during my three days with them. I spent most of Sunday morning learning to say "Because I have lots of homework, I'd like to return early to the dorm" perfectly in Japanese. The icing on the cake came after I uttered that phrase, when she told me that she had a gift for me. I though to myself, wow, maybe some redemption for this terrible weekend. The gift she gave me was one of her children's old, soiled books from when they were little. I mean WHAT THE F*CK? Who would think that some dirty old book would make a good present?

The only plus side was that I did get to return to the dorm early. immediately had a shower and washed everything I brought in to their cesspool of a house.

Take Care,
Lindsay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment