<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Wednesday, July 5 

Oh you know, just another trip to the Okanagan.

How would I sum up my little long weekend escape from the big city? Erm, Fab-u-lous!

Nothing but hot hot hot weather, cold bevvies under the misters, trips to vineyards and living in the lap of luxury - Gallaghers Canyon - for the weekend. No complaints.

Now, to start my extra long weekend off, I took in 9-holes at the Pinnacle Golf Course. Not only did I rock out the whole time, but I actually, amazingly enough, was able to putt the ball into the hole a couple times. Woot woot! Watch out Annika!

Our third day began with a hop in the truck and a trip south. Our plan was to head to the extremely hot town of Osoyoos, but if we saw anything else before we hit there, so be it. First stop was Blasted Church Winery, a couple kilometers outside of Okanagan Falls. This little family run winery found a soft spot in my heart for its impressive scenery looking over Okanagan Lake and when I saw the cute wine bottle illustrations.

Moving on from Blasted Church, we continued the 90km/hr highway until we reached the self-proclaimed Wine Capital of the World: Oliver, BC. Let me tell you, they need that little pick-me-up more than any other town - what a dumpy place.

Our next destination was Burrowing Owl Winery. This place was talked about since we left the house in Kelowna; everyone had heard about it except me. But then since I don't drink wine (since that fateful evening last summer when I drank a full bottle in an hour...) I just smile and nod my head whenever anyone is talking about the sweet stuff.

In the distance, we come up to this brilliantly coloured tuscan chateau, nestled on the northernmost tip of the Sonora Desert and in amongst endless rows of vineyards. Absolutely fantastic view for as far as the the eye can see. We decide to have lunch (which satisfied us for dinner as well) and take in the beauty in their restaurant. Not only was the view to die for, but I had a sip of the Cold Cherry Soup and wow was it ever nice. Perfect on the 36 degree day.

After our visit, we got back in the truck and headed north, back to the backyard which was waiting for us not only to lounge in, but to to do nothing in. MMmm sweet sweet nothing.

Sunday was a whole day of lounging and walking through the lake. I was most impressed with Scott - after his adamant "no!" over going into the lake because of the slimy factor - he was more gung-ho to go in than I was. Alas, a swim in the pool back at Gallaghers was more up my ally. It was cleaner, less slime.

Monday was the drive home - the longest drive home of my life. I haven't ever noticed how wretched Alberta drivers are. By far, they are the worst drivers ever. Cutting in and out of traffic, cutting people off, passing on a double solid around a corner.

Not only did this vacation teach me about the ways of the lifestyles in Gallaghers (which I would very much like to partake in, with in the next couple of years - I can retire early, right?), but it showed me that having at least one extra long weekend a month would suit me just fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment