<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Monday, September 25 

Democracy is alive and well.

So I think it's common knowledge by now that I am living with my boyfriend. He lives in this cute, quaint little (erm, big) condo in Connaught, right in the heart of all that is good and trendy. I've been here for about 5 months now calling his condo, mine.

A few months ago some rockin' neighbours moved in and together, we vowed to change this condo around for the better and take over the condo board. Almost like a coup. On Friday night, my very first condo AGM was held and some interesting shit went down.

From the current (and now past) Prez calling tennats "terrorists" to tennants telling the Prez on a continual basis to "shut-up", it got intense at times, so much in fact I thought maybe I should leave the room. But of course, because I thrive
on drama - I stayed and added to it.

The underlying comment though between all 12 owners was the lack of communication and accountability within the Board / building. There seems to be a lack of community; the elevator doors are vandalized on a regular basis (by tennants it's believed), no one talks to each other and really, the upkeep around here is almost nonexistant. The Directors pulled the excuse "we've tried - but no one cares" numerous times throughout the meeting and it only turned silly and immature actually. No one took any accountability for the lack of things that were done around the building. Sigh.

That's when election time came around. As I was one of the loudest ones in the meeting (ok not that loud but I threw my points in where I could) I was nominated for a seat on the Board. James "I'm going to turn this place upside down" our friendly neighbour was nominated by me and about 5 others were signed on to take the exciting role of Board director.

Not knowing as to what capacity I would soon find myself, I giggled a little bit. Soon enough, I was voted in as Vice-President of the Board 5-2. Incredible. Freakin incredible. Not only am I the Vice-Prez, I also oversee the maintenance of the building. I ensure that if there is a light bulb burnt out that it gets fixed (not by me of course, by the property management company - I'm just the middle guy) or that if it snows that the snow-removal guys get er' done on time. Heh heh.

These guys don't know what they've done by voting me in.

So my first plan was to implement a message board here in the condo. A place where people can display their "for-sale" items, condo messages, comment board, etc. With the help of James and Scott, the board is up and very much alive now in the common area. Not only is it up - but the residents here already have donated their thoughts to the board and all is positive. Rock on.

This might be a good 2-year term. Yah, that's right. I'm on the Board for 2-freakin years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment