<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Friday, June 29 

You know you're from Saskatchewan when... you think everyone from a bigger city is stuck up.

Also found on the Calgary Herald Q.

I was one of those people who talked smack about Saskatchewan. I never understood what the big draw was to it. I had so many questions about the people who lived there: Why were Riders fans so hardcore? Why were they fans of the Riders? How could people live in such a straight, flat province? Why was the real estate cheaper there? Does everyone drive a honkin’ huge truck? Is everyone a farmer? Are they called Saskatchewanites or Saskatchewanniens?

These were all questions I eagerly wanted to find the answers to as I took my first ever trip east of Calgary and ventured to the 5th largest urban centre in Saskatchewan, Yorkton. All packed up and ready to go, I ventured out to the flat province in hopes for some answers and some gorgeous pictures.

Before leaving the big city, I researched the town of Yorkton and the real estate they had available. Since working in the real estate industry, I have a bit of a fascination for what the house prices are, the type of houses, etc. After checking out MLS.ca
, I found the house which I refer to as “my cutest little house on the prairie” and was determined to find it. This hidden gem (depending who you ask) is listed for the very reasonable price of $7,650 and comes with a fair chunk of land. I could live in Yorkton happily and debt free… for at least a couple months.

The first thing I noticed is that it’s actually kinda pretty. Not only could you see lush rolling hills of farms every way you looked, but there were tons of cows and horses and a never-ending skyline for as far as the eye can see. It was gorgeous. No wonder people are moving there.

Calgary has become a difficult city to live in; even the civic, provincial and federal government has said an annual salary of $32,000 (after taxes) is necessary to afford a one-bedroom apartment in the city
. It’s also harder to get around with the increasing number of cars and amount of construction around every corner. It’s definitely not hard to find a job, but finding a job which will pay you enough to ensure your monthly bills are paid is a little more of a challenge.

On more than one occasion since I have been back in the big city, I have thought about writing a cheque for the little piece of real estate in Yorkton and moving there and living in Saskatchewan. Not only would it be a completely different lifestyle (as I am clearly a city person) but I would be joining the ever growing movement of Albertans who are packing their things and heading east to the land of cheaper living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment