<$BlogRSDURL$>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Friday, August 3 

Sure, I'm hot - but is that enough?

August long weekend. I was hoping to get out to Revelstoke this weekend and wade a little in Williamsons Lake or hike the 3-hour trek to Jade Lake, but alas, my grandma's husbands kids are using the house. A little nonplussed but what can you do. Sure, I could have stayed with a friend, but I think he's working all weekend and really - what fun is that?

Just got back from an epic road-adventure with me, myself and I... oh, and my trusty iPod stocked full of tuneage. I don't know how many times I've played The Fray in my car; they never get tiring. Drove to Vancouver for my mom's surprise bday party. She was cute - although she had figured it out long before the day of the party. Ok, maybe not figured figured it out, but she knew something was up. We were acting weird, Ashley was putting her dog into a kennel for the weekend, Ben was just coincidentally in the neighbourhood and would drop in (erm... 1,129 kms is in the neighbourhood, yah?) and Nanie was cleaning and baking like a mad-woman. Way to give it away kids, way to give it away.

The short of it... left town and booted it to Field - didn't even stop to pee once (weird, eh?!) and met up with Ian and Ashley who were just cruising along at grandpa speed. Decided I was the leader (because apparently Vancouver is hard to find) and made our way to Revelstoke. On the way there - I hit something. At the time I didn't know what but was soon texted with the words "well you're awfully calm for being on such a murderous rampage". Wha? Shit. Poor bird never saw Al coming - and vice versa. Lunch with Mike the conductor at the Nomad and continued on to Salmon Arm where I had to stop and wait for the kids to catch up with me. Something about driving too fast... I credit it to the v-power gas I filled up with. Next stop was Starbucks in Kamloops for my personal fill-up, "iced-grande-sugar-free-vanilla-lactaid-lite-ice-latte please" but instead of getting my drink of choice, I was informed that Starbucks in BC doesn't do lactaid so I would have to settle for something else. Awesome. Something icy and fruity instead and back on the road it was for us.

Only a short hour later I was texted with the words "need gas... desperately" but was confused because they just filled up. Damn Fords... so we stopped in Merritt where it was a luscious 42.6 degrees (I am pretty sure the .6 degree was what set off the temperature really - I could have done with just the 42) and filled up the beast. Back on the road and downhill to the next pee break.. (so far, I have counted 6 stops for 7 hours - damn uterus) and then all the way to the White Rock turnoff where we were.. rudely stopped on the Trans Canada for some bogus construction. Seriously. On a Friday? I have places to go, people to see and gluten-free food to eat. Soon enough though, we were welcomed with open arms into my grandma's house and that was it for driving. Thank God.

The party was bright and early Saturday - ok.. so it started at 1 but that's still kinda early when all you really want to do is sleep. People started arriving and the party was no longer a secret. Woot! My months of hard long event planning paid off: people were fed, drinking, happy by the pool and singing my mom bday wishes. Ashley and I thought it would be a perfect time to bust a move to the local liquor store for some beautiful Rum. Mmmm rum. Rum rum rum. Within the hour, we were having a hard time standing up without feeling wobbly. Guess that's what happens when you don't eat much during the day. Mmmm rum rum rum rum...

Sunday arrived and we were off to brunch at the golf club. Soon there after, we piled into the Ford and made our way into the big city for some shopping, Whole Foods shopping and beach walking. So we got as far as... shopping and the grocery store and the traffic became so intense we had to turn around. Sigh. No beach for me. Back to grandmas house and I was back out for dinner with an old friend. After dinner at Joeys, back to the house where we piled back into the truck for a moonlit walk at White Rock beach. And after a rather rushed walk, (someone had to pee... again) we were back home and I was packing for the exciting car ride home.

Left at 7 and got my lactaid latte (with a little help) and I was back on the road. Pretty much cruised til Salmon Arm where I picked up some fresh fruit, on request, and back on the road. Stopped in Canmore for some real latte action and I was home in no time. Ok maybe like 10 hours.

Nevertheless, saw tons of famly, hung out with friends, ate a ridiculous amount of food and put a little over 2,000kms (and not to mention a couple feathers from an unfortunate incident) on my little car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment